of Forest Ministers
Natural Resource Canada:
Canadian Forest Service
Forest Certification (Peggy Smith)
Exploring Boreal Forests (Pierre Levac)
Sustainable Forest Management (Jim Ferrell)
Natural Disturbances (Bill Thornton)
Protected Areas (Yolanda Wiersma)
Managing for Sustainability
bookmark & share
sustainable forest management
Canada's forest sector is a world leader in progressive forestry practices, wildlife conservation and efficient utilization of resources and raw materials – and itis committed to continual improvement. Tough laws and enforcement, backed by more third-party forest certification than any other country, ensure Canada's forest products are from legal and sustainable sources.
Canada has more than 400 million hectares (988 million acres) of forest and other wooded land, representing about 10 per cent of the world's forest cover. Most of Canada's forests (93 per cent) are publicly owned, and managed by the federal, provincial and territorial governments on behalf of Canadians. By law, companies that harvest public forests must regenerate them promptly.
Canada's sustainable forest management model is built on rigorous planning and management processes at all levels across the country. Its forest sector has a proud tradition of working with Aboriginal peoples, environmental and conservation groups, local communities, labour groups, and other interested groups and individuals to find common ground and mutually agreeable solutions to address social, environmental and economic values.
Integral to the model are broad public consultations, comprehensive assessment and monitoring networks, detailed reporting tools, and mechanisms to adapt practices based on new scientific information.
learn more: related publications
- CanadaWood_ph7-2 - FINAL PRINT COPY - May 31 (green building)
- Canadian Wood. Renewable by Nature. Sustainable by Design
- Comparison of Selected Forest Certification Standards: 2009 Summary
- Feel Good Fact Sheet: Forest Certification in Canada
- Feel Good Fact Sheet: Managing Canada’s Forests Responsibly
- Forest Certification in Canada: The Programs, Similarities, and Achievements
- State of BC Forests 2010
- State of Canada’s Forests: 2010 Annual Report, NRCan
- Third-Party Forest Certification in British Columbia